David Smith, CAE, Vice President of Compensation Services
Dave joined The Employers’ Association as Director of Research in 1989 and was appointed President in 1992. Prior to joining The Association, Dave was responsible for Union Relations, Compensation, and Safety/Environmental Compliance for a local furniture manufacturer (5 years). His previous experience includes Human Resource Management for a local automotive supplier, Technical Recruiting, and Operations Management. He transitioned from the role of President in late 2018 and now handles all Compensation Administration and Performance Management activities for The Association.
Dave has developed and implemented more than 700 Compensation Administration Programs throughout the country and consulted nationally in Organizational Development Family Business Issues, Succession Planning Safety / Health Compliance Concerns, Performance Management and Governance Issues.
Dave has provided strategic direction, planning, and consistent management techniques promoting operational excellence and sustainability to Manufacturing, Service/Professional, Food Processing, Warehouse/Distribution, Family-Owned, Educational and Non-Profit businesses. Dave is actively involved in Executive Coaching and Mentoring and is a regular contributor to The Employers’ Association’s newsletter (Executive Update
), maintains his BLOG (Dave’s Deliberations
) and has published a book about Leadership (Pathways and Passages to Leadership
An active contributor to the community, Dave serves on numerous Boards and Committees seeking to make West Michigan a better place to live and work:
- Director - Herbruck Poultry Ranch, Chair of Executive Compensation and Nominating Committees
- Director - Mr. E-Liquids
- Director - West Michigan Works Workforce Development Board
- Discover Manufacturing Steering Committee and Chair of Scholarship Committee
- Director - Health Net of West Michigan & Governance Committee
- Vice President - Cherry Health (A FQHC Program) Board - Finance and Executive Committees
- Quality of Life and Services Review Committee - Holland Home
- Director - Meadowbrooke Business Park Association
- Advisory Board Member - MBPA’s Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in West Michigan and National Summit Recognition Program Committee
- Advisory Board Member - Holland Litho and Print Services
- Advisory Board Member - Emerge Apps
Dave was graduated from Hope College with dual majors in Chemistry and Psychology then took further studies in Pharmaceutical Chemistry (Purdue University) and advanced coursework at the Thomas M. Cooley School of Law. Dave achieved the designation Certified Association Executive (CAE) and has been accepted into both the National and International Who’s Who Registry of Business. He published a book on Leadership in 2017 (Pathways and Passages to Leadership) and has been featured in several editions of the anthology “Best Poets in America”.